How can I add Hong Kong ntp server into other country zone which have large population but few ntp server

I have seen a Taiwanese server operator who add his server into tw mo jpzone rather than only tw zone. However my server is only included in hk
zone, however I also want my server into cn zone which they are lacking in ntp server, then how can I add my server in cn zone

Hi, this used to be done in the past but not any more.

The server needs to be physically located in the country it serves so the users get the most accurate time available.

(For zones with no existing servers it would mean that ALL that country’s traffic would go to that one server rather than the pool spreading it out between nearby servers.)

I ask the above question because tomorrow I will change from unstable HGC 100mbps to fast and stable netvigator 1000mbps, then the server(my notebook computer, not the previous mobile phone)can handle more request and the connection will not be cut when there is ntp packets. Then can I set my ntp pool ‘net speed’ to 1000mbps in order to decrease the load of Chinese ntp servers, because the server will be also put in Asia zone(which include China)

Hi, yes, the system should auto detect from your IP and put it in asia and hk zones. I haven’t looked at the code but it would seem sensible for the system to use servers in the asia zone if it has more traffic than it can handle in an asian country zone.

I doubt a server on 4G could usefully help a country zone. It’s not enough to have a high score in the NTP monitor–a high score is a minimum requirement to be in the pool at all. Your NTP server has to be in the best 75% of NTP pool servers if you want typical NTP clients to use it.

This is a typical NTP client:

MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
===============================================================================
^+ voipmonitor.wci.com           2  10   377   504   +828us[ +828us] +/-   42ms
^- ntp.wdc1.us.leaseweb.net      2  10   377   759   +458us[ +458us] +/-  137ms
^* tock.usshc.com                1  10   377  1009   +685us[ +601us] +/-   15ms
^- heppen.be                     1  10   377   664   -219us[ -219us] +/-   63ms
^+ monewr1.ntppool.net           2  10   377   891  -1664us[-1664us] +/-   29ms
^- m121-202-76-220.smartone>     1   6   377     2    +25ms[  +25ms] +/-  123ms

NTP clients usually get 4 random IP addresses from the pool. I added yours and the NTP pool monitor to this one for comparison. The client will analyze the responses from the servers and set its time using the best servers (marked with * and +). The rest are not used (marked with -). Given a choice of 6 servers, this client chose 3 servers to use as a time source, and ignored 3 others.

This NTP client has 5 better choices of NTP server. Why would it use yours, with its huge variable lags and wrong time? The client will still send packets to all servers, but the replies to those packets from the 4G server will be ignored. It will waste bandwidth and power without providing useful service.

1 Like

The SNTP clients will always get and set the time from pool server they connected to, though. And @wilsoncheung0719 is moving from mobile broadband to FTTH. Let’s wait and see his results.

Regarding my server, if it is against current policy to only support domestic and continental zones, then please remove jp and mo zone from my server. After all, CloudFlare now supports most zones so my filling into previously vacant zone of mo becomes unnecessary…

How many user can I handle if I have 1000mbps download and 1000mbps upload

Another question is what is your connection speed

The bandwidth should be enough here, but your setup of server (server operating system / ntp software etc) is much more important in this scenario. My bandwidth is just 100M…

I will not answer your question since it is not NTP pool relevant.

Now the broadband is installing, I will show you the actual internet speed of 1000m FTTH on my laptop

Here is my new 1000m broadband internet speed, upon further testing, I would consider to add this server into pool

Did you order fix IP address together with your new Internet connection?

I am ordering fix ip but I am not sure whether the ISP will accept(the ISP is considering my request and will reply later), if the ISP doesn’t accept, I will keep my laptop on 24/7 so that my IP will never change in this case

This will be the server software I will use

Why did you choose https://nts.softros.com/ rather than one of the open source NTP tools? Meinberg has a nice package https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable that is freely downloadable.

1 Like

Unfortunately, after my ntp testing, I found that the new provider TOTALLY block ntp responses sent from my server, since according to the log of my server, the server did receive ntp packets from internet, but is also said that it failed to respond to the destination host

In this case, can I use a vpn to relay my ntp response?

This is probably caused by the misconfiguration of your server software, not being blocked by your ISP. Since Windows have built-in SNTP time synchronization from the XP days, I don’t think ISP will block udp:123 at all. Check your Windows date and time setting to see if it can contact time.windows.com and set the time. If it does, then the network is fine and you must solve the configuration problem yourselves.

Like @stevesommars said, you should reconsider if switch to the ntpd package from Meinberg. It is a common software used inside pool community, people here may be able to help you debug.

It is technically possible to relay UDP packets, but it would be infeasible for heavy loaded NTP pool service to run through VPN tunnel.

Cannot add ntp server at all using the new connection(after installing meinberg )