Adding servers to the China zone

Hello, my router went down many times yesterday. could you remove my ntp server from es (spain) zone ? https://www.ntppool.org/scores/82.64.45.50 thx in advance. Chris

Hi Chris, 'tis done.

Not sure if you need it for some reason, but usually it’s best to disable connection tracking for the NTP port completely. No memory wasted on NTP clients.

1 Like

@elljay :thanks very much.

1 Like

@ mlichvar : thanks. I didn’t even thought about this solution…um, i feel sorry.

I havent tried it myself, but I was ones told to disable it in both directions.

A few months since my last post, tick.montreal.ca.logiplex.net is serving many more replies than it had usually been, now at about 25kqps (more than a million a minute) oppose to 15kqps, at the 1000MiBit setting. Things are holding strong but please don’t consider this thread as closed post or ‘done deal’. The China zone still needs help, especially with servers on its continent.

root@montreal:~# uname -a
Linux montreal.ca.logiplex.net 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u5 (2019-08-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@montreal:~# while true; do (sleep 1; pkill -INT tcpdump) & disown; var=(tcpdump -n port 123 2>&1 >/dev/null); echo -en "(date): "; grep captured <<< “$var”; done 2>/dev/null | tee -a log.txt
Tue Sep 24 00:59:05 EDT 2019: 51026 packets captured
Tue Sep 24 00:59:06 EDT 2019: 46002 packets captured
Tue Sep 24 00:59:07 EDT 2019: 52987 packets captured
Tue Sep 24 00:59:09 EDT 2019: 49534 packets captured
Tue Sep 24 00:59:10 EDT 2019: 44833 packets captured

The server is now running Debian 9 with SELinux enabled.

Thanks and kind regards.

Noah
https://logiplex.net

I added 3 more servers to CN/IN zone. I am serving about ~20kqps at 1000 MiBit setting. Hope that took some load off of your servers.

1 Like

Hello, due to a change in my IP address, could you remove me (82.64.45.50) from the following zones:
[ad] [at] [be] [de] [europe] [fr] [li] [lu] [mc] [va]

I don’t know when i’ll get a new IP address.
Thanks in advance.

@c.barthes4 Since you marked the server for deletion it’s effectively removed from all the zones already, so all is well! Thank you for your help providing NTP service to the world. :slight_smile:

If your still looking for help in China and other underserved areas feel free to add in;

IPv4 Address:5.9.71.156
IPv6 Address:2a01:4f8:161:81a5::2

Hello, i’m back with a brand new firewall and router. My ISP gave me back the same IP address.
Could you add [ad] [at] [be] [de] [europe] [fr] [li] [lu] [mc] [va] to my NTP server (82.64.45.50).

Hope it’ll be fine this time and that my router will be strong enough !!
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Chris.

Ask, Is it possible ?

Ask, is it possible ?

Ask, is it possible ?

Hmm… I wonder if that IP address is static. Has your ISP given you that IP address in writing, like email or something similar?

$ whois 82.64.45.50
inetnum:        82.64.0.0 - 82.64.114.255
netname:        FR-PROXAD-ADSL
descr:          Proxad / Free SAS
descr:          Dynamic pool (ADSL)

If you obtain your IP address via DHCP, it can change at some point, causing the same kind of hassle with someone having to modify the countries for your server manually again. Static IP addresses would be more suitable for NTP pool purposes.

If you want more traffic to your server, I would suggest increasing the “bandwidth” setting on the pool management pages, instead of adding more countries where that server is listed.

@Ask @iocc , I have five new IPv4 up with an hpet timer and realtime kernel and scheduled and selinux secured. I was wondering if you can change one to china/hk and one to russia and a subsiding territory. I think china is starving again because my two hong kong VPS ran out of bandwidth this month, very early.

Nymphy

As a newbie just stumbling in I can say it was “exciting” to see how the bandwidth setting is relative. I added servers in US and EU and after seeing score of 20, I got over-confident and set the bandwidth limit to 100Mbit. No worries. Not much actually happened.

I turned up Singapore server, same specs and set bandwidth to 100 Mbit, guessing there are 1/5 the number of servers in that zone vs. US so it should see about 5x what my US server is seeing and be OK.

Wow. Holy DDOS. In Singapore I had to drop bw to 1-3 Mbit. Asia and Latin America are definitely underserved. I have capacity in Japan and Korea I will add to the pool but the China zone itself is serious business indeed.

This seems to be a feature they had many years ago reading through the mailing list archives but it was removed. I have the issue right now where my South Korea server IPv6 shows USA and my Australia Server shows Japan for IPv4 and IPv6 despite Maxmind being correct for the IP addresses.

While I do not have the resources to survice touching the CN zone I will hang around the perimeter and serve KR, SG, JP, AU.

Yes, the direction from @ask is that (except in a few specific limited cases) servers should physically be in the country they are serving, so that the end user gets a low, reasonably consistent round trip time. That isn’t compatible with everyone being able to set their own zones, though it’s clear people are trying to help with the traffic in underserved zones.

(Yes, I suggested some long while ago that the text at the top of the underserved zones:

We need more servers in this country. If you have a server with a static IP, please consider joining the pool!

…might be better to say something along the lines of:

We need more servers in this country. If you have a server with a static IP physically located in this country, please consider joining the pool!

1 Like

Hi, sorry for bumpping up this old thread.

Can someone help me add pool.ntp.org: Statistics for 2001:41d0:305:2100::3f3e and pool.ntp.org: Statistics for 2a01:4f8:c2c:477d::2 (EDIT, copy/paste the wrong link) to CN zone if help is still wanted.

amy.chl.la v4/v6 were removed from all pools when OVH DDos prevention kicked in few months ago, and when I added them back they were not added to CN pool. CN’s v4 has too much traffic for OVH, so can you only add the v6 of amy.chl.la to cn pool but keep v4 of it for fr/europe?

Thanks.

1 Like