Vn.pool.ntp.org is down!

Dear admin @ask ,

Could you help me that why vn.pool.ntp.org was disconnected ?

Thanks and best regards,

vn.pool.ntp.org contains only servers in Vietnam, and as of today the NTP Pool has no servers left in Vietnam: pool.ntp.org: NTP Servers in Vietnam, vn.pool.ntp.org. As that page says, if you’re in Vietnam you’re probably better off using asia.pool.ntp.org or just pool.ntp.org.

Could you reopen again in this week ? My server is down because that is not set time via this vn ntp :((, and I cannot connect server to update new ntp.

The ntp servers are run by volunteers, random internet strangers. I don’t know who was running the servers in Vietnam previously, but these servers are no longer available.

You can’t use the Vietnamese servers any more, you have to change it to Asia.

Why would you even want to connect to a local-pool?

The is no need to do so unless a specific reason.

For timekeeping it doesn’t matter if you access local or just the worldwide pool, as it will select the best servers for your request anyway.

I keep telling people, just go with pool.ntp.org then you are allways sure you get the right time from a good server (mostly) near you.

1 Like

It is even better to use 2.pool.ntp.org, as it has IPv6 servers included.

2 Likes

You are quite right, I stand corrected…as it’s a mixed pool:

bas@workstation:~$ nslookup 2.pool.ntp.org 1.1.1.1
Server:		1.1.1.1
Address:	1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	2.pool.ntp.org
Address: 109.68.160.220
Address: 185.153.41.4
Address: 162.159.200.1
Address: 185.89.20.5
Address: 2606:4700:f1::123
Address: 2a04:6480:101::220
Address: 2a0e:f780:0:100::15
Address: 2a0e:f780:0:400::35
1 Like

Hmm, I venture to posit that most users of the pool don’t delve to such a depth into the inner workings of the pool, e.g., by following evolving discussions across multiple threads and topics in this forum, that they would realize this. Rather, the majority of users who even choose to manually configure their clients will likely follow the guidance on the Use The Pool pages in their respective language. The English version says that the non-regionalized zones will give best results for most users. It neutrally mentions the existence of regionalized zones, adding the caveat that some of those zones may have only few, or no servers at all in them. Not sure how many casual users will fully appreciate the potential ramifications of that hint vs. the potential appeal of “closer is better” inherent to the regionalized zones.

More crucial, however, is that at least some of the non-English versions of that page even explicitly suggest that better results will be achieved by using the continental zones, and even better results with the country zones (despite the caveat mentioned previously).

I venture to posit that the number of users following the guidance on the pool’s web pages far surpasses the number of ordinary users finding their way into the forum, or reachable by word-of-mouth.

So an arguably more effective way to address this would be to update the instructions on the web pages in the various languages, hoping any proposed updates actually make it to the live pages (unlike the long pending update to recommend use of the pool directive instead of the server directive).

A while back, @ask mentioned that he is considering doing away with the geographical zones entirely, at least on a functional level. I don’t recall (and ad hoc did not find again) what steps would be needed to make that happen, whether some improvements are still needed in the system before that can happen, or whether it was mostly about how to best manage the transition. In the latter case, more explicitly recommending against use of the geographical zones on the instructions pages could be a first step without requiring changes to the pool implementation itself.

2 Likes

cn.pool.ntp.org faces the same problem over and over again.

use the global pool instead:

pool.ntp.org