Discord on Android spams us.pool.ntp.org — Should we ask them to use global servers or a vendor zone?

I run a small DNS server on the same server computer that I run an NTP Pool server on, and I’ve therefore noticed that my Moto One Zoom phone was frequently spamming queries to us.pool.ntp.org roughly 70 times per day, despite me being in Norway (Europe).

The culprit turned out to be Discord’s Android app, which sends such queries (followed up by time syncings) to us.pool.ntp.org every single time the app is opened, and every ½-2 hours when it’s listening for message notifications. I have been able to confirm this with 2 phones in Norway and 1 in Hungary. The geographical admin-setting of the Discord server that is opened when the app is opened, does not affect this. It is usually 2.us.pool.ntp.org that is requested, but sometimes it’s 0.us.pool.ntp.org or 1.us.pool.ntp.org instead.

From what I’ve figured after being involved in the NTP Pool project for 2 years now, and since I presume Discord has a userbase in the 9-digits: Should some of us ask/insist that Discord should establish a vendor zone and/or that they must use android.pool.ntp.org or pool.ntp.org instead? I presume you guys have more experience with such situations than what I have, and therefore know how and where to contact unideally behaving companies. This is of course based on the assumption that the US NTP Pool server owners think of this whole situation as a bandwidth problem for them.

I can provide screenshots of my DNS query logging tools on request.

What I found strange is that the application asks for time. Normally, it should rely on the system time.

A survey from 2017 indicated that a small handful of apps were asking for time, such as (back then) Lyft, WhatsApp, AirBNB, and Microsoft Intune. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know why apps would want to do it, however.