Could you guys monitor the offset of my ntp server

You are mistaken; that setting does not do what you think it does. Also, address allocation is controlled by your provider; unless you are paying them for a plan that specifically lists a static IP, then it’s pretty much a guarantee that you don’t have one. Sooner or later, whichever IP is allocated to your phone will change.

As others have already explained to you, the mobile connection you are using is highly inappropriate for providing an NTP service. Please stop trying to force the issue; doing so simply causes problems for everybody involved.

Finally, smartphones are not intended as servers, and it’s pretty clear that this one is not doing a good job of providing accurate time to clients which are unlucky enough to encounter it in the pool.

You have been told, several times, by several different people, that what you are trying to add to the project isn’t fit for purpose, and does not comply with the project requirements. You’ve persisted to the point that there is now a discussion on how to block this kind of thing. Please listen.

If you want to contribute to the pool with a proper fixed-line connection, a proper static IP that is actually allocated as such by your provider, and a server device that is actually fit for purpose, that would be welcomed. If you cannot provide something that meets those criteria, then do NOT add it to the pool.

2 Likes

Wilson, You’ve sent 65 messages to this list in the last two weeks and, frankly, as I see it you’ve been trying to waste everyone’s time. This list is about the server pool. The SERVER pool. You aren’t running a ‘server’ (it’s a mobile phone ffs!) and no amount of comments about static ip (or, indeed, not) will change that. We aren’t here to handhold you, though some of us have certainly tried to guide you in the right direction you are still not getting the point.

I don’t know why you think using a mobile phone could ever be a sensible and sane thing to do. Why are you trying to add it? What do you want out of it? If it is NTP time for your own use then just point your other equipment at the address in use from time-to-time, but otherwise you aren’t likely to benefit the users of the ntp pool. There are no rewards for running a server (there are costs though!) so why try to do it so abysmally?

My apologies if this sounds harsh, and maybe other SERVER operators might disagree with me, but as I see it you aren’t helping the project in any way and are generally causing problems. Maybe review your reasoning before contacting the list (yet) again? Thanks.

Alison

5 Likes

If you set ip_dynadr is 0, it doesn’t prevent the provider from changing the phone’s IP address. When your mobile provider changes your IP, your phone will stop working.

Only the provider can prevent your IP from changing, and it usually requires a special agreement with the provider and extra cost. Either there is an additional fee for static IP, or it’s only available from a limited set of providers who will charge more for the entire network service.

You could rent a dedicated server or VPS host in a data center. There are many hosting services available. Most of these either come with static IPs, or it’s available as an option. They also have redundant network uplinks and industrial-sized UPS power supplies, so they’ll be far more reliable than anything hosted in a residential area. The smallest hosting plans are often cheaper than residential broadband too.

Your enthusiasm for participating in the NTP Server Pool is admirable.

I suggest you rent a VPS or KVM server such as frequently listed on https://lowendbox.com/ and setup an NTP server there following the guidelines. You can rent something as cheaply as $2/mo. If you are specifically interested in helping to serve the Hong Kong area, try researching offers for Hong Kong: https://lowendbox.com/?s=hong+kong&searchsubmit=Find

Good luck.

1 Like

Now I have cancelled my phone server, I will try to rent a server so that the server performance will be high and the IP is static

6 Likes

@wilsoncheung0719, please keep the good spirit! We just try to guide you towards the technically appropriate direction even we sometimes sound rough.