Probably a silly question, but I understand you’re having some network issues under certain loading conditions - @Bas - what portion of your network is wireless?
@ccb056, my network for servers is wired. Only the home-network for inside use is wifi.
But it contains repeaters, mesh, 2,4 (40Mhz)+5GHz(160Mhz) as my neighbors are too far away and/or too low signal to cause a problem.
Everything is Wifi7 capable but I set it to Wifi6 as no client is Wifi7 and it makes no difference.
The NTP-servers, WebSDR-servers, etc are all connected with CAT6 to the NetGear GBit switch, that is connected to the OpenWRT (Intel) router, and the OpenWRT is connected to the Zyxel DSL modem (in Bridge-mode) also with CAT6.
The network problems have long been solved by altering the rules in OpenWRT.
However, I have changed the CPU-speed settings in the router so it scales far more quickly then before where it tried to keep low on speed.
The big problem is spiking-IP-networks, that are probably doing CGNAT and/or DNS-proxy, so they dump all NTP-traffic on 1 NTP-server for some time. Meaning a DNS-request is kept the same for all users of the CGnat/proxy for longer time. A lot of ISP’s do this to save bandwidth.
They shouldn’t do that.
This stuff: Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia
I ordered another one, it will be online next week.
It’s the NTP220.
My servers in the pool:
nslookup ntp.heppen.be 1.1.1.1
Server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 86.89.121.200
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 217.103.55.36
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 87.118.104.17
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 45.95.172.130
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 185.142.225.68
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 2a01:7a7:2:3343:216:3cff:fee3:7803
Name: ntp.heppen.be
Address: 2001:1b60:2:1:1126:104:0:1
The last one added is STR3 at the moment, next week it will be STR1.
We have done the verified-bit already and I have asked @ask to add it to the Belgium pool by default.
I has a fiber connection.
I hope it reduces the load on Belgium a bit more.