Can you enable IPv6 on *.au.pool.ntp.org please?

I’m in the process of creating a bunch of geographically redundant IPv6 Stratum 1 NTP servers and I’m hoping we can flick the switch on enabling AAAA record on all the AU pools (au.pool along with 0, 1, and 3).

This will tie into a further chicken-and-egg talk about IPv6 at Linux.conf.au in January, and I’m aiming to have at least 6 100mbit+ Stratum 1 NTP servers in datacenters around AU by then.

Unfortunately, because most people are lazy and just put ‘au.pool.ntp.org’ into their NTP servers, they don’t get AAAA records, so they don’t get IPv6 and it’s a vicious circle of me not being able to show usage, which means people aren’t using it.

2 Likes

This is supposedly being worked on. See this thread: Intention to enable IPv6 by default in 2017 and this one: It's 2019 and still no IPv6 by default?

The code has been written, it’s just not been merged

1 Like

Hello @ask! When you do this, can you please do it for NL as well (or perhaps even better: do it for the entire pool at once).

Many thanks!

2 Likes

It appears that this will never happen - my pull request was closed without comment, and … I guess that’s it!

2 Likes