FYI: removing server from the pool

As an experiment I removed a couple of my servers from the pool. And as expected; even after a couple of weeks, quite a few queries are still coming in:

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 14.30.10

That is why I wonder if it wouldn’t be better to recommend the pool directive first in pool.ntp.org: How do I setup NTP to use the pool? and only describe the server directive as an alternative method.

What do you think?

Hi Marco,

fork https://github.com/abh/ntppool
sed -i 's/server/pool/g' ntppool/blob/main/docs/ntppool/use/sample-config.html
create an issue and PR

:smiley:

Yea, i think it would be better to update the docs to use the pool directive. Maybe need to check if my github account still exists…

2 Likes

This is very normal, and even if most Linux systems used the pool directive (most new installs do this by default; I can attest to Ubuntu, Debian, & CentOS doing it), there are lots of embedded devices out there which are rarely rebooted and won’t pick up a new IP from the pool. Updating the docs would be a great step, but I don’t think it will stop traffic fully.

Operators of Linux mirrors will be used to this sort of behaviour: there are disturbing numbers of systems out there still requesting updates for distro versions from 2008.

1 Like

I agree. In the spirit of what various Linux distributions currently do, the instructions should probably be changed into:

pool 2.ntp.pool.org

It wouldn’t hurt to mention that the instructions also apply to chronyd, the default NTP provider on Fedora et al.

2 Likes

Patches welcome; I agree the pool configuration is better (and hopefully nobody is touching configuration anymore on systems so old they don’t support that).

2 Likes

Well, there has been no activity on the PR for over a week now. All suggested changes have been integrated. Do I need to request a final review from anybody?

1 Like

No worries. It can take some time until @ask can / will merge it.

2 Likes